- 1 loaf day old Italian or wheatfree French bread
- 3 eggs
- 1 scant cup sugar
- 1 quart milk or half and half
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla
- 4 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided in half
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh, finely grated ginger root
- 2 tablespoons dark rum or banana liqueur
Put the raisins in the rum or liqueur, and warm briefly in the microwave (20-30 seconds). Allow to sit at least 30 minutes. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and mix well.
Cube the loaf of bread, put it in a bowl with the milk and allow to stand for an hour.
Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and remaining spices. Mash the bananas and combine all ingredients together.
Turn out into a lightly greased 10X12 or 9X13 inch baking dish and bake at 325 degrees for 70-75 minutes or until edges are golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out nearly clean (same test as for cakes).
Cool and serve with whipped cream or banana sauce below.
Optional Banana Liqueur Sauce:
- 1 banana sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon banana liquor
- 1 tablespoon sugar