Cheese scones - a wheat free bread recipe to try ! Nice !
- 400 g rice flour (brown preferred)
- 80 g potato starch
- 150 g butter, low fat spread or margerine
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 4 tsp xanthan gum
- pinch salt
- 100 g cheddar, grated
- 6 tbsp milk, whole or semi-skimmed
- 4 tbsp low fat natural yogurt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp dijon mustard (check for wheat/gluten free)
reheat oven: 220°C, 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7
1. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
2. Put the flours, fat, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt into a bowl and mix until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Then add the grated cheese and mix.
3. In a separate bowl mix the milk, yogurt, beaten eggs and mustard together then add to the dry ingredients.
4. Cut the mixture together using a palette knife or any wide bladed knife, then finish off by compressing together with your hands. If the dough appears too dry then add a little more milk to moisten it. The finished dough should be soft but not sticky.
5. Tip the scone dough onto a lightly rice floured surface, knead it gently until it is fairly smooth, then roll it out to 2.5cm-3cm (1-1¼") thick. The secret of well risen scones is to start off with a thickness no less than 25mm (1") thick.
6. Cut out the scones using a cutter approximately 5cm (2") diameter. Place each one on the baking tray.
7. The trimmings can be compressed together to make the final scone, just make sure that it's the same thickness as the other scones, even if it's not the same diameter.
8. Brush the scone tops lightly with a little milk, then bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until risen further and golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire cooling rack.
These scones are amazingly tasty straight from the oven while still hot, but also just as good cold. Without the addition of the xanthan gum they would be very crumbly, so don't forget to
add it. These scones are best eaten within 24 hours of making.
At last..the Cheese scones - wheat free bread recipe is ready to serve. Enjoy it !